Department of English
Total books in Library 7115 +
Number of Journal/Periodicals 3
Success Rate of Students (%) 70 +
The English department came into being with the start of the college in 1947. Professor MurariLal established the department with the initiation of Commerce Faculty to impart teaching of English language as a compulsory subject to commerce graduates. He was assisted by ShriJagdish Saran Mishra in the task. The Department moved a step further towards its expansion in 1951 when, besides the faculties of Law and Commerce, the college was granted affiliation to the faculty of Arts and B.A. classes were introduced in the department. In 1957 the department was raised to post graduate level and since then it has been incessantly imparting instruction in English language and literature upto the highest level.
Professor NP Gupta took charge of the Department from ShriMurariLalJi and played a long and glorious innings as its head and a teacher and academician of repute. Under his stewardship, the department saw a spree of appointments. A number of literary luminaries joined the department during his tenure. Shri R. K. Jalali, (who afterwards switched over to Hans Ranj College, Delhi), Shri G. S. Gupta, Shri R. K. Sharma, Shri R. P. Gupta, Shri B. P. Sharma, Shri B.B.L. Agrawal (who later on left to become Principal of another affiliated college of Agra University), Shri A. K. Mukherji (who joined MLN college, Delhi later on), Shri B. K. Chaturvedi (who after a few years in the college joined Air Force), Shri T. Venktesan, Shri H. H. Prasad, Sri P. K. Dixit, Shri S. K. Sharma, Shri M. R. Varshney, Sri D. K. Gupta Sri J. P. Sharma, Shri K. S. Srivastava and Shri Mahesh Puri made valuable and scholarly contribution to the cause of teaching in this department. In its sunny days the strength of the department rose near to a dozen.